Dating in the 2007's....
OK, here's the deal.....My daughter is 24, tall, thin, GORGEOUS, and a great catch!!!! However, no one seems to want to go the the effort to catch her!!!! Now, I'm not trying to marry her off, but I just don't get guys. We have a saying in our house....'boys are stupid'...(brother Ryan is not included in that, but brother Jake is on the border!) This started the morning she got up, came downstairs wrapped in her comforter with 'that look' on her little face. Oh, oh...I thought. What's wrong....'boys are stupid'.....that only means one thing....the latest guy has broken her heart...once again.....
Now here's the deal....In my day, oh, gosh, I said it....but, in my day, boys knew how to wooooo a girl. They would actually come to your house to pick you up, something that no longer seems to be even a possibility. They would come to the door, knock, and even have a flower or two in hand, shake hands with dad, great mom and sit a moment. Not so much any more! Most of Ashlee's 'boyfriends', and I use that term lightly, we've never even met. We really only saw 'Ryan-the-boyfriend' a total of maybe 10 times the whole 6 years they were together. I know she likes us and isn't, to my knowledge, ashamed of us, but nonetheless, we rarely meet them. That's good, I guess, as I tend to get attached. Not so much to Ryan-the-boyfriend however...whatever...
Now I have a theory. You knew I would. I blame texting. Texting is the bane of dating. They now longer talk, they text. Ashlee's little thumbs just go like fire! Here's the problem with texting....if I text the following phrase, 'did you see her dress'. OK, did I like her dress or not? You have no idea, because with texting there is no inflection (oh for spell check...) in the 'voice'. I 'heard' her have arguments with a guy while texting and she 'heard' one thing and I another. I think she's had whole relationships over texting and actually never really met the person!
And dating...there's another thing. They don't date any longer, they hang-out. What's that????
Here's the deal as of late....She has 2 guys that are, in their words, 'madly in love' with her and will do whatever it takes to win her back. O h, r e a l l y.......where are they????? I don't see them sitting on the porch waiting for her to get home from work to talk to her face to face, you know, communicate?.....I don't hear them calling on the real phone to talk to her.....I don't see any flowers delivered to the door....I don't see them picking her up to whisk her away to a romantic dinner on the beach.....'do anything to win her back'?????? Boy could they take a few lessons from good, ole' dad on this one!!!! AND, none of this new dating ritual seems to bother her in the least!!! How the heck did that happen??? We certainly didn't raise her that way.....
So to those two guys, and you know who you are, what are you thinking?????? Put your stupid phones away and get over here!!!! Woooo, damn ya, wooooo!!!!!!
One mother's opinion....
No comments:
Post a Comment