Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tammy Faye

July 22, 2007

Tammy Faye Baker, or Mesner, died yesterday. Tammy and I go way back. I remember sitting in my orange and green couch in the W. Lime house watching PTL every morning. Jim and Tammy Faye like little characters from days gone by even then. I loved Tammy Faye! When I started watching them in the early 80's, her now outlandish make up was, well, sort of normal. Sort of. I couldn't wait to see what soapbox she would be on on any given day. I loved the chemistry between them and I loved watching Jim grin at every word out of her mouth. She couldn't really sing, but sang with every ounce in her body! You could never question her devotion to Jim or her love for the Lord, that's for sure.
The late 80's, as all of us know, brought an end to PTL and Heritage USA. I have my thoughts on the whole thing, but that's for another time. I followed Tammy's career over the next years and just found her fascinating. Her talk show with Jim J Bullock was a hoot! What a pair! Her divorce from Jim kind of ticked me off and her marriage to Roe Mesner was puzzling and made me wonder how long that has been brewing!
I missed her on the Surreal Life but can only imagine how odd that was!!! I remember her saying she never took off her pantyhose the whole time she was there! Now, that's funny!
I heard a few years ago she was battling cancer but wasn't worried about my Tammy Faye as I knew she had Faith in God and knew cancer is no match for God!
The other night I was flipping channels and came across Larry King. I always check to see if he's interviewing anyone important to my world. He was, in fact, interviewing Tammy Faye. I was absolutely stunned to see her at 65 pounds!!! I honestly have never seen anyone look that horrible, ever!!!! She was like a bad caricature of her drawn made to make fun of her. Fully made up, eyelashes and all, she spoke with a definite halt in her speech. She still had her little giggle and unique bubbly personality even in her depleted state. My heart broke for her, but was impressed by her courage to want this interview to give Praise to God for her life and family.
Just 2 days later, she died. I'll never forget you, Tammy Faye Baker Mesner! The mascara business will never be the same!

No comments: