For what it’s worth....a movie review
My scale: 1 through 10; 1 being Ishtar and 10 being Gone With The Wind
Boy’s Town
OK, I know this film was made in 1938, but, gosh it deserves a review!!! A true story of Father Flanagan’s heroic gathering of wayward boys in Omaha, Nebraska. Spencer Tracey is wonderful as the warm, caring, thankfully stubborn Father Flanagan who took all homeless, motherless, lost boys into his embrace. He is the epitome of what we want all caregivers to be, clergy or not.
I think Micky Rooney as Whitey Marsh is at his best. Whitey is rough, mean, clever and lost. Put under Father Flanagan’s care by his prison bound brother, Whitey fights it all the way. Standouts are Sidney Miller who shows the diversity of Boy’s Town as Mo Kahn, with Bobs Watson as the mascot, Pee Wee, everyone’s favorite!
What I love about this film is every time I watch I find one more favorite scene that I didn’t notice before. This time, I watched each boy pray for his own meal in his own way. What incite the Father had to life and what boys needed. Me thinks these boys were safe in his care.....I’ll not continue with the rest of that thought......
This is a great film! I encourage every one to catch it next time it’s on....
I give this film a 10! It makes me wonder if we had a modern day Boy’s Town, we might just be able to eliminate the lacking Foster system....(OH! Did I write that out loud?)
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment