Saturday, August 18, 2007

More Shoes...

The other day I was shoe shopping. I hate shoe shopping because I have dumb feet that are wide with short toes. I love open toe shoes, but it always looks like they are too big. Someone once told me it looked like my toes were just visiting! Anyway, I knew that I was going to be on my feet for some time during rehearsals, and if I didn’t get a comfortable pair of shoes I would be very sorry. I decided to get tennis shoes. Now, I’m not a tennis shoe person. My theory is, it goes back to what ever was popular when you were in High School. What ever was nerdy then stays with you till death! When I was in High School, tennis shoes were only worn for P.E. It took me years to buy a pair for regular wear, and still…… And, I feel like Minnie Mouse. I look in the mirror and all I see is shoes! Anyway, I decided to buy tennis shows. Now, this decision took a lot of thought because, I mostly wear dresses, and frankly tennis shoes with dresses is dorky! But, remember, I’m almost 50 and I just want to be comfortable! So I went to Famous Footwear to buy tennis shoes. I was willing to forgo my usual $12.99 Payless budget for this, as pain was a factor. So I wandered in and told the clerk I was just looking, in other words, leave me alone; this is not going to be pretty! I looked at every shoe in the store, thinking, ‘no, too Minnie Mousy, no, to colorful, no will clash with my pink dress, no, too hard to get on, no, gosh, too heavy!’ I tried on 20 pair at least! I finally decided on one. And it was buy one, get the second pair half off. Hum…..Dare I buy 2 pair? I thought I’d try on regular shoes, just in case something I find I can’t live without. I tried on a pair of yellow (my favorite color) slide heals. I loved them, but the toe thing was happening, and they were a bit high. Gosh, they come in Periwinkle, too. They were so cute, but, 10 minutes was about as long as they would be comfortable and, well that’s just not practical! I tried on pumps, moccasins, loafers, thongs, sandals, heals, flats, mules, slippers, boots, Mary Jane’s and more tennis shoes. Then I tried on some suede sandals in a neutral color. They were SO comfortable I couldn’t believe it!! Eureka!!!! Comfortable shoes! They would go with everything! Even my pink dress! Bosh! To the tennis shoes! These are it!!! I put the tennis shoes back, added a pair of basic camel pumps and I was out the door! I brought my treasure home and couldn’t wait to wear my new comfortable shoes! I put them on and went in to the mirror and guess what I saw? My mother’s feet! OH MY GOSH!!! I had bought my mothers shoes!!!! The ones I said I’d never wear! The ones she said she didn’t care how they looked, they were comfortable! I can’t believe it! But, to tell you the truth, I don’t care how they look, they are comfortable! I have worn them everyday. Not one of the other tennis-shoe-wearing actresses has even mentioned my mother’s shoes. They either are afraid to, or they just could be jealous of the sheer comfort I am experiencing! Who knows……….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh to comfort....im still sporting 'cute'!