Monday, August 6, 2007

La Vie En Rose

For what it’s worth...a movie review

La Vie En Rose

I knew nothing about Edith Piaf except that she sang La Vie En Rose. That has changed. Marion Cotillard’s portrayal of Edith Piaf is extraordinary to say the least. And I say that having never seen a picture of Edith. But she mesmerized me with every frame.
The look of the film is depressing. The times were depressing. Her life was depressing. I wasn’t sure I was going to like this film for the first few minutes. It was nothing like I imagined, though I can’t really tell you what I imagined. I went just to be entertained, but left wanting to know everything I could about Edith Piaf. I felt as though I were peering into a life for just brief moments. I was puzzled at times, confused many times, and intrigued most of the time. I left the theatre not knowing if I loved the movie or hated it, to be honest. The film leaves out so much of her life, you really don’t understand why she was as famous as she was. She was portrayed as shy, skittish, drunken, odd, ill, seeming crippled by who-knows-what but not as the star she apparently was. I wasn’t sure if I liked her, pitied her, was indifferent to her or just plain didn’t like her. But one thing I knew when I left the theatre, I was going to know all I could about her...
After reading all that was available on the web about Edith Piaf, I now know the film didn’t do her justice. There were so many layers not uncovered by the filmmakers. So much more to her life, untold. I had to read about her to understand the film. I’m not sure that’s a good thing or not. The film did its job, I guess. It made me want to find out all I could about this once unknown to me, Edith Piaf, the Little Sparrow.
I encourage you to see this film; it’s intriguing, I think...

I give this film a 7, I think....go and see it and let me know what you thought....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.